Transition Services

Transition planning helps to prepare young students for their future. Services are based on students’ strengths and their needs. Consideration of the student’s preferences and interests are also important for successful transition planning. Nevada PEP offers trainings, and guidance on transition planning. Please review the information on this page, or contact us directly to talk about Transition Services.

On-Demand Trainings

Transition Planning: Navigating Your Future

Both parents and students will learn an overview of the transition requirements in the IEP, including strategies they can use for effective transition planning as the students move toward college, employment, and living independently.




    Transition Information

    What is Transition?

    Transition is moving from one situation or experience to another. As an example, transition could be the process of moving from a high school student to an adult member of the community.

    Preparing for the Transition to Middle or High School

    Your child is entering middle or high school. This is a transition for both you and your child. You can look at it as a joint venture. Get all the information you can. Meet the teachers, principal and vice principal. Visit the school and locate classrooms, lunch room, gym, auditorium, and office. Sometimes teens are reluctant to have family members tag along on a school visit. Approach it as if your child is giving you a guided tour, so he or she is in control. If your child doesn’t know the way around, you’ll both learn.

    Discuss in advance possible situations, involving peers, classroom behavior, or school work, where you would be concerned. Ask your child how he or she would deal with these situations. Tell your child your expectations of him or her given the situation. If possible, pair up with another parent to talk over the changes. The support of others going through a similar situation often helps relieve anxiety.

    What Parents Need to Know About Puberty and Sexuality

    This video from the Utah Parent Center addresses one of the more sensitive issues in the journey to adulthood.

    Haga clic aquí para ver este video en español.

    What type of transition information does Nevada PEP have?

    We have information regarding transition to preschool, to elementary school, to junior/middle school, to high school as well as transition into higher education.

    Transition into Higher Education

    More and more students with disabilities are applying for and being accepted into colleges and universities across the country. The key to a successful post-secondary education is that students become knowledgeable about their own accommodation needs and their post-secondary education responsibilities, as well as their educational rights.

    When a student applies to a college they do not have to identify themselves as a student with a disability. The entrance policy is not discriminatory.

    After exiting high school students become their own advocate under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Section 504 regulations apply to all colleges and universities that receive Federal funding. The law states that it is the college’s or university’s obligation to provide accommodations to qualified students with disabilities in a timely manner to ensure effective participation by students with disabilities.

    The student is obligated to advise the college or university of the need for accommodations and supports. The student may be asked to provide diagnostic tests and/or professional documentation for accommodations to support their request.

    Public Colleges and Universities will have a Disability Center or Support Center to process and assist with requests for accommodations. Colleges or universities provide needed accommodations and support on a case by case basis. The student is not required to pay for the cost of the accommodations. College bound students have the right to receive the same services offered to their nondisabled peers.

    Click here to see a list of some Nevada-based College and University Disability Resource Centers

    A sample of accommodations under Section 504 that students may require are:

    • Audio Tapes of Texts
    • Note Takers
    • Interpreters
    • Readers
    • Student Tutors
    • Text Enlargers
    • Modified Calculators
    • Braille
    • Computer Adaptations

    Get Help

      Thank you for reaching out to Nevada PEP. Once you submit this, a PEP staff member will contact you for more information so we can better support you with your child’s educational needs. Or, if you prefer you can call PEP directly during normal business hours. Las Vegas at 1-702-388-8899 Reno at 1-775-448-9950 Statewide toll free 1-800-216-5188 We look forward to talking with you very soon!

      Fields marked with an asterisk* are required.

      Translate Page